Thursday, July 06, 2006

Thoughts of Peace

So here we are, going about our days, worrying about work and love and if we make enough money, etc. and meanwhile, far across the world, there are people fighting and losing their lives for a cause. But what cause?
I am not sure what Bush was thinking in keeping our troops overseas as long as he has. I can't justify or criticize but I will say this: every time I see another dead soldier in the paper, killed by some terrorist who justifies death for religious purposes, I can't help but be saddened.
Looking at the soldier's picture, I read everything I can about him or her. What kind of person were they? How old? Could we have been friends? I take a moment to reflect on a person I will never know and whose presence will never again be felt upon the Earth. What were they interested in? Did they have families who loved them? To think that we lose such young, bright people whose families will never again see them home for dinner, makes me truly wonder about the purpose of life.
On one hand, I admire their courage and their strength. They signed up to defend our country, to put their lives on the line for a cause, and they do so with determination and eagerness. Sometimes I feel ashamed not to have the courage that they must have to face the potential dangers they do every single day.
On the other hand, I feel that their deaths must not be in vain. We have an obligation to each other here. We should feel greatful to have all that we have. We should feel greatful to be free and live in a country where we can practice whatever religion we choose and we can be the people we want to be without hiding who we really are, without covering ourselves up or being afraid to speak out. We owe it to ourselves and all of those people fighting for the cause to actually believe in it.
For all the trouble in this country, it is still great. And we need to go forward and be greatful and happy that we will wake up tomorrow to the sound of the birds singing and not to the sounds of bombs dropping or small arms fire. We are a free nation. We are still good. We need to keep on believing, and remember just what it is everyone is fighting for.
Cheers and love,
Sarah

No comments: