Monday, May 26, 2008

An Interesting Thought

Hello everyone! I've been meaning to update you for a while now about Hawaii, and I will get to that, but I just had this interesting thought and ... for some reason, I want to bring it up.
Remember when you were a kid and before you knew how the world really worked, and before your parents became real people (you know, when you suddenly see them as flawed souls), you probably thought that certain things were important.
When you're a kid, you don't care how much work your father does-but you notice every minute that he is late to your baseball game. You don't care that there are bills to be paid and that work has kept your mom away from home a little later, all you are hoping for is another hour of her time--waiting for the next time she will play with you.
These moments, precious though they are, are the moments that bring families together. We like to convince ourselves that our lives are balanced while we work three jobs to pay the bills (and keep up with the Jones's) and yet it is often our children who suffer.
But what if, for just a moment, we as a society could start placing emphasis on those things we found important as children? Family together time ... moments spent with one another. What if we started working less and giving more? How might this world be different?Anyways, just a thought. I still remember what it felt like to be a child. I still remember the joy and excitement I felt when my mother took time out of her day to play with me or my father would teach me things. As I've grown, that joy and excitement has dwindled as I've become more aware of the real world. But sometimes, it is good to take a step back and remember those things that are truly important.

No comments: