Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Friendship On Fire

So what does it feel like when you're in love? How can you possibly put to words a feeling that comes from your heart?

This is for my friend--he knows who he is--who struggles, like many of us do, to find our place, where we belong, and to determine whether or not real love is even possible. Do we settle for what's comfortable, safe? Or do we take a risk, put ourselves out there, risk getting hurt, for the chance at love?

What does being in love even feel like? Is it worth it?

My best way to describe truly being in love is ... better to talk about how it happened... and how it made me feel.

I didn't want to fall in love; I wasn't expecting to fall in love--it just sort of hit me one day. I worked full time and went to college full time--and at the end of the day, I was completely exhausted. The only thing I could think of was getting something to eat and going to bed. I checked my voicemail in between classes-he had left me a message telling me to come to his place after I was done with school. I show up at his house, exhausted beyond belief, and he's got a cup of hot chocolate and a sandwich waiting for me. "How was your day?" he asks me.

Who would have thought that, in that moment, NOTHING in the world could not take the place of the warmest gesture of that darn sandwhich and a stupid cup of hot chocolate... and his simple kindness in asking me about my day...

One day, I woke up to find him kissing me lightly on the cheek---just because he saw me sleeping (I worked graveyard) and felt like he wanted to. He didn't even know it woke me.

Another day, I woke up and I noticed that he was ironing like crazy. "What are you doing?" I asked in bewilderment. "Ironing." He grinned at me with the sort of mischievous grin that just makes you sort of smile, and I noticed that he's ironing MY clothes. "I'm almost done!" he said proudly... Done? Done with what? While I was asleep, he knew how busy I was, so he had taken my ENTIRE closet and ironed all of my clothes... he was hoping to do it before I woke up.

Being in love is like ... spending 5 hours with someone and it feels like minutes. You can do the most MUNDANE errands, and it's exciting. We had fun doing the silliest things--Costco trips became fun--our weekly trips to Home Depot became another chance to talk about our plans for our "future house."

Everything you do with them is exciting. Laying in their arms feels like euphoria. The world suddenly begins to make sense again, it has purpose, your life has meaning.

I would give my whole world to have that again. To find someone who knows how to love me without being told. They speak to your heart ... in ways that you don't quite understand. They "get" you and understand you. You can talk about ANYTHING and it's okay ... you can tell them the truth and they don't judge you.

Love isn't just about the actions, it's the feelings you get from being around them. It's how they make you feel about yourself. That seems to be the secret. Oh and what's funny is, you find yourself doing things you'd never normally d0--you WANT to do things for them, little things, just to make them happy, just to see them smile.

In the end, it's difficult to describe that feeling--but you know--oh you always know--when you don't have it--and you can see that feeling when others do.

As I've talked to many of my friends, real LOVE, is like a "Friendship On Fire" (the theme of a friend's wedding)... It's friendship transcended, friendship divine--and is it worth waiting for? Is it worth taking risks for?

There's always the possibility of being alone, of being rejected, of hurting yourself and others. But what if you realized how SHORT life really is and you didn't waste another moment with someone who will never understand who you really are? When we die, all we leave behind, are memories of ourselves and the legacy of ourselves. Who will remember your legacy? Who do you want to share yourself with? Who will remember you?

Life is short, you've heard it said a thousand times. Only you can decide if love is worth taking that risk for--you may end up alone, but maybe, just maybe, if you open up your heart, you just might find what you're looking for--and find yourself in the process.

Tomorrow, perhaps, I'll talk more about this subject of finding yourself. How do you do it? Where do you start? :P I've covered this before, but perhaps it needs a revisit. What are your thoughts?

5 comments:

Monica G said...

Love is a beautiful thing and for a love that great, how could it have such a sad ending? Sometimes life is unfair so much so that we wonder are we better off not being here, or is this God's way of making me stronger, better? The best way to answer this is to just continue to love yourself and the greatest love will soon find you.
I would also like to consider myself a "Dear" friend to this person we are talking about, and I too am most concerned in the sadness and confusion in his eyes, I much rather be a dear friend than a lover if I can guide him to the path of happiness, I could never be so selfish as to only think of my needs and for that I am willing to sacrifice my happiness because I love him that much and he means the world to me. Where will this greatest love I have for him leave me in the end? I don't know but I will be there 'til the end of time, as I will never abandon my "Dear Friend"

SarahBear said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SarahBear said...

Well I had what I felt was a great response all written out and then I hit the wrong button ...

What I wanted to say is that if you had asked me during my relationship with that person (it's been some years now), I would have told you, that I had NO DOUBT in my heart, that he was the right guy for me. He was *The One* if there is such a thing. But the reality is, sometimes our heart oversteps our head.
Sometimes the person whom we love is the person who is meanwhile dragging us through the mud of their lives while they figure out what they want.
I understand the nobility of wanting to sacrifice your happiness for that of someone else's, but at what cost? Don't you fear losing yourself in the process? Are you going to be happy if our friend moves on without you?
Don't you deserve happiness too?
Do you truly simply want his happiness?

What are your thoughts?

JAS said...

Here's a topic for ya........
Does love at first sight really exist? Or does that saying realy mean 2 people can totally connect on many levels in such a short matter of time that they know without a doubt the other peson is right for them.. Is this real? Or does love take time and experience with one another to develop?

Monica G said...

So you ask, Am I being dragged through the mud while the person I love decides....Do you want me? Do you want her? Do I sit and wait? What if he's my greatest love? My Soulmate? What should a Fool in Love do? What is the right answer? I am sacrificing all that I am for you.....For Love...For a chance..

Last weekend we spent 4 days together and boy was our Love on Fire! I felt so special in your arms, I felt so loved, I felt I was in Heaven. I felt finally! I felt we were so happy together.
And then this weekend comes around, you have Vanished..just like that! From Perfect to Gone!!
Are you with her? Was it her turn? You have us both at the palm of each of your hands, who will be the oh so fortunate one to spend forever with you.....
Did I not see it coming?

Have I "Lost" myself in all this?
Yes! Am I "Sad"? Yes! I am torn & devastated, I keep asking myself "What did I do wrong"
But I also know this much...
No matter how "Lost" I may be...I know that I am loyal, genuine, caring, devoted, ambitious, smart, funny, heart of gold, beautiful....
So how do I know this? Because I hear it everyday from my Family & my Friends and I believe in them.

So What is Love? I know that
I Will Never Hate You...
I Will Always Love You...Xoxo