Sunday, December 13, 2009

As My Dad Used To Say ....

Well I wrote this entire blog, and thanks to technology, it's all gone. That sucks.

What I was going to say is that when I was younger, my dad had some really good wisdom that he applied to raising me that ultimately had a positive effect on how I have come to think about the importance of being patient and waiting for things.

The store is a magical place full of winderful things in the eyes of a child. The store was a place full of things I saw and wanted RIGHT NOW! I'd look at whatever it was--a toy or whatever--and rush over to my dad begging him to buy it for me.

He'd look at me and say, "I tell you what pumpkin, if you still want it the next time we come back, I'll get it for you."

Well that was certainly not what I wanted, I wanted it NOW! But he had no idea how the act of making me wait for something would become life changing. The truth was, I always remembered the things I really wanted, and forgot the things that were the items of "right now." It comes down to a matter of quality versus quantity. Sure, I would have had more things had my dad bought me everything I wanted, but you can bet that by him making me wait, I appreciated those things I did have, and appreciated those those things I really wanted.

This is perfect wisdom to apply to life in a hurry. Sometimes it's best to walk away from that thing you "really want" and come back for it later. If you really want it, if it is really important to you, you will get it later.

The wisdom, then, comes in the patience of waiting for the things that are most important--and disregarding the things that aren't.

No comments: