Friday, April 20, 2007

Interesting Idea

It was late when I got home; the rain had begun misting my windshield and as I made my way up the long ascending hill to my house, it began dropping in larger droplets, splattering on the ground and the roof.
Even though one of my favorite songs was playing on the radio, my thoughts were a million miles away. I was thinking about him, thinking about the things I had said, the things I hadn't said, the things I wanted to say. But life was funny that way, the way you were always torn between what you wanted, and the difficulties of crossing the unspoken boundaries between friendship and something more.
I shouldn't want anything more, should have just left it all as it was, but there was something in my heart that wouldn't let me find peace. It was a silent whisper in my soul and yet, I found it ridiculous. It was just like my character to like that which I couldn't have.
Pulling into my driveway, I turned out my lights, debating on whether or not to run to my door as I had forgotten my umbrella yet again-clearly a mistake in the rainy season. I grabbed an extra sweater in the backseat and held it over my head as I made my way across the sidewalk and up the stairs to the place I called home. It was freezing, my breath making short puffs as I hurried to my door.
I reached my door and was startled by a voice behind me. "Sarah ..." There he was, his long brown hair dripping wet. He had waited in the cold rain on my porch for me to come home.
"What are you doing here?" I quickly opened the door and stomped my feet on the welcome mat.
"I didn't know when you'd be here. I was ... waiting for you." he said, his voice barely a whisper above the sound of the pouring rain. He was dressed in jeans and a sweater, no coat, no umbrella.
"Come inside, hurry!" I exclaimed, ushering him inside as the rain picked up its tempo.
He came inside, slowly, deliberately, shutting the door quietly behind him. He stood at the front door, staring at me as though there were miles between us.
His silence was strange to me, given the fact that we always had something to say to one another.
"Here, let me take your coat ..." I approached, realizing that he was not wearing a coat and I was dangerously close to him. The smell of rain and cologne drifted up and overtook me. As I came closer, he made no move away from me. It was as if there were unspoken words on our lips and neither of us knew where to begin.
I stopped and cocked my head slightly to the side in puzzlement.
"You left and didn't say a word about where you were going." His dark eyes were pools of emotions I couldn't understand.
"I didn't know where I was going. I just wanted to get away." I said. "I felt as though I was suffocating.""But why?""Because of the questions you were asking me..."
"You left so quickly, it seemed strange."
I shrugged.
"You've always let me in," he continued, staring straight at me. "You've always told me what's on your mind. Why is it different now?"
I couldn't meet his gaze, my eyes dropping to the floor. I couldn't tell him the truth, couldn't tell him that he had gotten too close. I had made myself vulnerable and had let him in. Some day soon, one of us was going to get hurt when the other walked away. And since I could never tell him how I felt, it would easily be me.
I don't know if he was expecting an answer, but I just stayed quiet; I could feel his gaze piercing a hole right through me and I considered the idea, for just a moment, that he already knew how I felt.
Only a couple of seconds passed as I stared at the floor, but they were like hours and days to my heart. I glanced up and found that his gaze had not broken. As he looked down on me, droplets of water gathered at the ends of his hair and dropped onto his sweater. Without thinking, I reached up to catch another droplet as it started to fall.
Catching it in my hand, I felt his hand reach up and grasp mine. His hands were strong, powerful, comforting. My breath caught in my throat as he pulled me closer to him and for just a moment, I thought that he was going to hug me. But instead, his lips met mine and in surprise, I jerked my head back, but he did not relax his grip. His strong arms wrapped themselves around me and instantly, I felt a warmth spread through my entire body.
He didn't say a word, just smiled and kissed me again and again and again, our faces melting together as if it had always been that way. It was as if all of our unspoken questions were answered, and that something that existed between us had finally been realized. In that moment, everything was perfect. Two hearts, having been friends so long, finally came together for one perfect moment in time.
So I'd like to say it all had a happy ending but ... like so many stories, this one isn't true ... But I wanted to give a romantic "blurb" a try to see how I could do with it ... see if I was any good.
There was a guy in college (I can picture this happening in Oregon-thus the rain) who was a good friend of mine and always had a crush on this girl ... but he never told her. And she, unknown to us, had a crush on him --but never told him. This is like a moment in time in their untold story ... Although, I think they actually got married in real life (if this is you-and you know who you are--congrats, by the way).
Honestly, I wish this was really true for me. I put my name in because ... I think would be super awesome to have someone ... I don't know ... like me like that.... perhaps it was at one time, or will be in the future. For now, a girl can dream, right?
If it sucks, tell me!

No comments: