Friday, April 11, 2008

The Filters in Our Lives

So lately, I've become much more interested in photography. There's something about taking images and making them look great that intrigues me. I think it has something to do with the fact that, with the right shot, you can not only capture a moment in time, you can almost capture a sense of being there, in that moment.
Have you ever looked at a photo and even though you've never been there, you can feel as though you could have been? The textures seem so real, so alive, they just grab you from its two-dimensional plane?
Anyways, I'm fascinated by it and recently bought a really nice although not professional quality, digital SLR. It's the kind of camera I'd say an experienced hobbiest would use or the amateur perfecting his / her craft on the path to becoming professional. But hey, it allows me to use different lenses and try different effects (before I have fun with it in Photoshop) so I'm completely happy with it so far.
There are several kits that you can buy to enhance your camera-one of which, or a few of which, are filters. There are all kinds of filters, but I'd say that UV filters, polarizing filters, and possibly flourescent filters are probably most common. Each has its purpose in the field of photography.
But specifically, the polarizing filter operates much the same way our sunglasses do. In a way, it helps provide much stronger contrast to the things we see-for example, it will help darken a blue sky or make the shadows stand out a bit more.
As I was thinking about this, I was reminded about the filters that we often place on our lives. We assign "filters" those things that we want to see, and those things we refuse to see, all in the course of our journey through life.
What's especially interesting is that it is these filters that color our perspectives and provide contrast to how we view life in general. For example, Someone who is racist uses a biased filter over the camera of their life to judge other people based on those things they believe. These beliefs, or filters, are rarely if every challenged because it requires the person (just like the camera user) to remove the filter in order to see a "normal" picture.
I often wonder what lenses and what filters, I have unknowingly applied in my life. Worse, I wonder how to break them down and make them clearer. But then, I see other people's filters, and it convinces me that mine aren't so bad.
There's a guy I know who always gets into the bad relationship. His latest "mistake" continues to treat him poorly. But because he's only been in destructive, unhealthy relationships, he somehow seems to think that this one is good for him. Or perhaps he even sees that it's unhealthy, but doesn't know another "filter" to use for his life, so he sticks with her. So he goes through day after miserable day wondering if there's someone better out there ... and there is. To quote a friend, you can't find the right someone if you're with the wrong someone.
A girl friend of mine always lets men walk all over her. Oh and ... she sleeps with them right away and always tells me, "But I thought he was going to be a nice guy." She is a super attractive Hispanic woman who could probably have anyone she really wanted. But the filter she is using has somehow caused her to view herself as someone not good enough or strong enough or whatever enough to find someone great. And so she let's herself get sucked into these situations where she feels that sex is the only way she can make them interested in her and then can't figure out why they don't stick around.
But then there's me. I think I have the "strong" "tough" filter on right now. But I've had to be that way. I'm starting to wonder if I'm too outspoken (remind me later to tell you how my boss sort of implied that I have that tendency) too independent, too stubborn perhaps? I'm not just talking about relationships, either. It seems like when I get "comfortable" in my job, I start speaking my mind when I don't know if I have the "right" to do that, if that makes any sense.
Well anyways, these filters continue to color our lives and we let them. As for my guy friend, his friends keep telling him to "dump" his girlfriend (I don't dare tell him that). But still, he keeps on trying. I am not sure that he would even recognize something or someone good if he saw them (remind me to tell you later about how he probably thinks I'm crazy). He might not even know how to have a healthy relationship or even what it means to be in one! So in putting on a "broken" or "different" filter, he in essence changed a part of his chemical makeup thus forever altering how he views the world.
I guess I am wondering at this point, if it is possible to change back--is there a magical answer for these filters we place over our lives? My girl friend claims she wants to find someone wonderful, but time after time after time, she ends up with the same kind of guy. As the friend who provides the "advice" I don't know what to do. I don't know how to remove that "filter" or even if it's possible.
What do you think?

No comments: